HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 2

From:
Ken Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:30:58 -0700
We have talked to several users of DDX about this problem and the patch
available from HP and wanted to answer the following question PUBLICLY to
the list in case others were wondering.

"We do not want to turn off DDX and we can NOT put a BETA patch on our
system.  What can we do to reduce our exposure to this problem?"

Knowing more about the problem now, we can say that increasing your
increment to a larger size can help reduce your exposure to this problem.
As has been said before, the DDX problem is caused by a potential timing
problem between two processes.  Everytime a DDX expansion occurs the
"window" is open.  The more often that your datasets do DDX expansions the
more "windows" are open.  By increasing the increment you are lowering the
number of times that you are "opening the window" and thus reducing your
risk.  The "window size" has nothing to do with the "size" of the increment.

Several users who experienced the problem had VERY active systems with
people getting in and out of the database(s) and most had increments in the
1000 to 5000 range.  One client has seen the problem on THREE different
occasions.

You can also increase your current capacity to prevent DDX expansions from
happening but this is similar to turning off DDX and requires the
allocation of disc space now.

I hope that this information is helpful,

|            r  |  Ken                             [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  Ken Paul                      Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Customer Support              Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.