HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:34:33 -0800
Joe writes:

> Hello Everyone,
> Does anyone know of a way to get data that is on a reel tape past another
> job that written to this tape.  I have a set of 4 tapes of archive records
> and the 4th tape was carelessly used by a past employee on another tape job.
> Now I am left with trying to restore as manyrecords as possible, and
> everything that I have tried so far is failing.  I am trying to use FCOPY
> with SKIPEOF=+(I have gone from 1 to 12 on this parm), and I can't get
> passed what was last written to tape.

Assuming this is a STORE tape set, then:

   1) a reel-to-reel tape drive can read past the EOFs easily,
      and past the logical "end of tape" that the new job may have
      accidentally written;

   2) A DDS/DAT drive cannot read past the end-of-tape that was written
      by the new job.  There are two solutions to this, however.

Regardless of the above, STORE won't like things much, but there are
several solution paths:

   a) if CMSTORE, the old GETFILE might work...if it will run on MPE/iX.
      If it won't run, contact me.

<plug>
   b) if NMSTORE, we have a reluctant service to restore files from damaged
      STORE tapes.  See http://www.allegro.com/tape_recovery.html
</plug>

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html