HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 2

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 23:22:46 -0500
> From: Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
> Does anyone know how you would go about building an environment where
> you are displaying information to a screen every 'n' seconds, but also
> able to accept input from the user.
>
> thanks,
> shawn
_---------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, there may be better ways available, but an easy way would be to
put the information up on the terminal with a place for him to reply
and then do a timed read.  When it timed out, you would know that he
had nothing to enter, but if the read completed successsfully he did.

The trick is the timed read.  Seldom done, but not that hard to do '

Good luck.

Nick Demos  [log in to unmask]
My opinions are my own and I stand behind them.

Performance Software Group
Tel. (410) 788-6777 Fax (410) 788-4476