HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 2

From:
Jeff Bandle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Bandle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 21:16:15 GMT
SIMPKINS, Terry ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: [log in to unmask] said:
: >If you want to set up the dtc on
: >sysB, don't put in the mac addresss.  Make sure the name (node.domain.org)
: >is correct, but enter the MAC address at all zeros.  This is listed in the
: >5.5 communicator on page 10-71.

:  ------------------------------
: Well, Alan gets the cupie doll.
: The problem was the MAC address had to be set to 00-00-.....
: As soon as I made that change, and restarted sysB
:   (since that change isn't allowed dynamically), it now works.
: What I missed, is that host-based management of switched DTCs
: apparently wasn't allowed until 5.5, and I hadn't searched that
: Communicator.

: Thanks Alan.
: Terry Simpkins

As a followup to this, I did some checking with some of the
TIO configuration folks here in CSY and verified that there are
actually 2 ways to solve this problem.  The first, as discussed above,
is to use Host-based management and configure the MAC address as
all 0's.  The second way is to specify on the system that ISN'T
managing the DTC to use OVDTCMGR as the management platform.  This
will accomplish the same thing and will also give you the use of
the non-nailed pools for accessibility from the DTC.  With the
introduction of switching for host-based managed DTCs, the NMMGR
question about using OVDTCMGR as the management platform has become
somewhat fuzzy.  What the question is really trying to address is whether
the MPE system is managing DTCs directly or not.  If not, then some
other machine is managing them, whether it's an OVDTCMGR PC or another
HP 3000....

  Hope this helps....

Cheers,

Jeff B.

Jeff Bandle
Hewlett-Packard                 email: [log in to unmask]
Commercial Systems Division     Voice: (913) 842-0369
Remote office:                  Fax:   (913) 842-0273
2605 W 30th St.
Lawrence, KS  66047
           Disclaimer: Comments are my own, not HP's