HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 1

From:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Dietz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:01:04 -0800
We archive reports (mainly security reports, log files, etc) from several
of our systems to CD on a regular basis.  Our technique isn't fancy.  Just
FTP the reports from the source machine to the PC that contains an HP
CD-Writer and then "burn" the disc.  The FTP part is automated via scripts.
 Once a week we burn the FTP'd files to CD.  Works fine, but does assume
that all machines are connected to your network and have FTP capability.

Gary Dietz

>>> John W Pickering <[log in to unmask]> 11/03/97 08:37am >>>
As part of a project to unplug an AS/400 after moving the applications to

a 3000 (hey Alfredo - is this worth an Adager cube? :-), I need to
satisfy the accountants' needs to preserve access to past financial data.

They threatened to print detailed lists of the general ledger for the
last 5 years until they realized this would amount to several boxes of
11x17 fanfold per year, per division and require an extra operator just
to tend to the printer.

Can anyone comment on the feasibility of putting the above spool files on

CD? Price? Sources?

John "another one bites the dust" Pickering
JWP Systems Inc
Toronto