HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 1

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 16:20:46 -0800
Gary Dietz writes:

> >I have the Express 3 powerpatch tape in my hot little hands.  :-)
> >
> >The Communicator is sort of vague about whether or not:
> >
> >1) The HPPCAPI ODBC clients we have installed throughout our user base
> will
> >still be able to communicate with our 3000 once I install Express 3?  It
> will
> >be a while before we have time to install ODBCLink/SE on our PC clients.
> >
> >2) Is running HPPCAPI on the client side still officially supported by HP
> under
> >5.5 Express3?
>
> The Communicator (pg 2-10) says:
>
>   "HP PC/API with Gupta can co-exist with ODBCLink/SE, but it will no
>   longer be supported, and will not be distributed in MPE 6.0 and
>   subsequent releases.
>
> I hope that I'm correct in interpreting this to mean that the answer to
> your #1 is "yes".  The answer to your #2 would appear to be "no".

The HPRC says:

1) Yes, the old HPPCAPI client ODBC driver should still work as long as you
remember to start the same old ARPA listener on the server.

2) Yes, the HPRC will still assist people having problems with HPPCAPI, but
no fixes or enhancements will ever be provided for this code.

MBFoster says:

3) The ODBCLink/SE base product supports the same functionality that HPPCAPI
does, namely whatever is supported by IMAGE/SQL (which supports TPI access
to Omnidex's IMSAM sorted keys).  The full ODBCLink product is required if you
want access to Omnidex's keyword indexes.

But this whole discussion is moot in my case, because Patch/iX doesn't want to
qualify the SQLJXR2B Allbase G2 patch on my machine because of checksum
mismatches on several XL modules.  So it looks like I'll be installing
Express3 tomorrow *without* the new IMAGE/SQL goodies for the time being.  I've
opened a new HPRC call about this.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/