HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 1

From:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Largent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:12:05 -0500
As I read Gary's message from yesterday's digest, it struck me how
little I'd need to change to have the message come from me.  I'm
certainly not trying to start (or continue) a "language war", but
some times we "dinosaurs" feel a need to come out of the closet and
let the world know that the "old" ways are sometimes still very
valid!  (Any other PROTOS programmers want to come out of the
closet?)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 Gary Nolan <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,

Howdy!

> I have been reading the Transact comments and decided to add in my
> $.02 worth.

Ditto.

> Over the past 20 years (started in high school) I have written in
> Fortran, Basic, RPGII, Cobol (including versions of cobol you have
> never heard of ie IMS/90 action programming and UTS400 cobol) and
> Transct. I find Transact the quickest language to write and debug
> in.

Over the past 23 years (started in high school) I have written in
Fortran, Basic, RPGII, Cobol, APL and PROTOS. I find PROTOS the
quickest language to write and debug in.

> We currently write all new systems, every thing written in the
> past 10 years, in Transact. We are a steel plant with 600 employees
> and only 3 people working in computer services. Without Transact,
> Image and tools such as Qedit and Suprtool and the HP3000 we could
> not survive.

We currently write all new systems, (and every thing written in the
past 13 years) in PROTOS. We are a service provider (trim trees &
construct power lines) to electric utilities with 1600 employees and
only 3 people working in computer services (only two programmers).
Without PROTOS, Image and the HP3000 we could not survive.

> All of our systems are inhouse written as off the shelf software
> cannot handle our needs. I have even used Transact in a shop floor
> quality controll system. To us cobol and RPG are our legacy
> systems converted from an IBM/360 14 year ago.

All of our systems are inhouse written as off the shelf software
cannot handle our needs well. To us Cobol and RPG are our legacy
systems converted from a General Automation 18/30 17 years ago.

> To those that consider Transact software "legacy" systems I would
> like to know what you use instead. I am always open to new, better,
> faster ways to do code.

To those that consider PROTOS and/or Transact software "legacy"
systems I would like to know what you use instead. I am always open
to new, better, faster ways to do code.

> My intent in not offend anybody I say do what is best for you and
> your company after all we all don't drive the same model car and
> live in identical houses. Just trying to give Transact the better
> image it should have.

My intent is not to offend anybody.  I say do what is best for you
and your company.  After all we all don't drive the same model car
and live in identical houses. Just trying to give PROTOS the better
image it should have.

> Gary Nolan]
> Sydney Steel Corporation

-dll

> My opinions are my own.

See sig line below!
David L. Largent                     "My thoughts are my own,
Information Services Manager          unless I choose to share them!"
The Gilbert Companies, Inc.          Telephone: 765/284-4461
P.O. Box 1032                        Facsimile: 765/288-2079
Muncie, Indiana  47308-1032          Email: [log in to unmask]