HP3000-L Archives

November 1997, Week 1

From:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Dunlop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 11:44:33 +0100
I have now successfully crashed a system by duplicating the circular file
problem on 5.5. My original note was misleading as the failure did not
apply  to Temporary circular files but permanent files. The additional info
provided by HP was that the crash happens when at least 2
sessions/processes access the same circular file at the same time through a
file equation and use redirection to write data to the file. The first
session/process to try and close the file causes the System Abort. The
workaround is to add ";SAVE" to the file equation but I'm not sure why that
should work for a permanent file but I tested it and it does avoid the
System Abort(??).

Cheers,
John Dunlop