HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:27:14 +0000
In message <01BCE2AE.653832E0@denys>, "Denys P. Beauchemin"
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>I never heard of the series IV.  The machines after the series III was the
>33 and the 30, followed by the 44/40, the 64, the  42, the 39, the 68, the
>70, the 58/52 and the various mice and micros.  Then it shifted to the 930,
>950, 955, 960, 949, 980, followed by the bewildering array of permutations
>and combinations of 3 digits beginning with a 9, and ending with a 2 or a 5
>or a 7 or an 8 or a 9.  The 0 was no longer used and the digits 1 and 6
>were never used.  The 4 has not been used with the PA-RISC architecture,
>just the 44, 64 and the 3 has been used only for the series 33.
>
>The next series should be a 6, followed by the 1. :->

Stop! Stop! Do you want us all begging for Merced? %-)....

Brain-fade. I must've meant MPE/IV. But if I meant that, how did the
board die? Maybe there was *going* to be a Series IV, and then the
hardware flew off in all different directions? Maybe they even called it
that to begin with and changed their minds?

You'll be telling me next that you've never heard of the HP Viceroy PC
or the Microsoft Cirrus database. Just two of the names that never made
it out of marketing, but stayed in the manuals for the 'real' products
through inadequate search-and-replace.... :-)
--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]