HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:10:59 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>Didn't we have an APL/3000 on MPE/V in the past? HP 32105A or alike?

Sure did. HP's APL manual, in multiple colours, was the finest APL
manual (possibly the finest computer manual) I ever read.

APL needed not only a special keyboard, but on the HP3000 it needed a
special firmware board as well. It was discontinued after, I think, the
demise of the Series III and the introduction of the Series IV.

You need to adopt a special mindset to program in APL, as it's so
different from anything else. But once you've done it, almost any other
language seems to need so many steps....

Example:

first table of data:  days across the top, products down the side.

second table of data: products across the top, hours per machine center
                      down the side

and the aggregate machine center loading, by machine center and day,
takes just one APL instruction....

PS  You can do it in Excel, the same way, almost as easily. But I reckon
    you need to have done APL to twig on to it.

PPS  Amazing, isn't it? You wait years for a chance to reminisce about
     APL, and then two threads come along at once..... :-)

--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]