HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 4

From:
"David A. Lethe" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David A. Lethe
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 21:23:44 GMT
On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:39:22 -0400, Dave Jennings <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Does anyone have or know where I can get performance stats of HP vs IBM
>computer systems either hardcopy or on the Web.  I would like to get from a
>Web site because of the timeframe given to me.
>
>I would need this information within 24 hours.  We are doing a migration
>study/project and this information would be extremely helpful.
>
>TIA  :-)
>
>Dave Jennings
>Current Inc.
>719-531-2572

We would need a lot more information.  Basically you are asking for a
comparison of two brand names, without supplying details on silly
little things like the application (does it run on both platforms?!!)
and projected user load.

Seriously, try:
http://www.rs6000.ibm.com  to get a great rundown on their RS-6000
family.  I have got to assume you already know of the HP csy site.

In general:
1. The HP3000 will unquestionably do more "work" given the same
relative cpu performance.
2. UNIX vs MPE is a long subject.  UNIX has more features, and
flexibility therefore significantly more overhead.
3. I can scale a RS6000 to easily handle >10,000 users (much more than
a loaded 3000/997) but get the checkbook out, you'll pay millions.
4. A new RS6000 can be purchased for less than a new HP3000. No
comments on suitability-for-use. If you want used, then you can find
them for both platforms.
5. The IBM systems have a higher availability ....  i.e., I can add
disk online, reconfigure the O/S online, dynamically load/unload
drivers online...  Mirror software comes with AIX.
The high-availability clustering hardware/software for AIX is more
robust than quest's software for MPE.

I have sold, supported, and consulted for both you might want to take
this offline

David A. Lethe
972-208-3660