HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 4

From:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael L Gueterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 11:00:36 -0700
  I think your previous message answered your own question, HP does
not promote it's databases (either Image or Allbase).  That's a shame
since one or the other (or both) are the heart and sole of the system for
most shops.
  I've used Allbase for six or seven years now (my how time flies!),
and although I didn't care for it originally, I've come to respect and enjoy
it over the years.  It is a great database, and can be extremely fast and
flexible.  Lately, my work with it has been as the database engine behind
some Windows NT web-based applications, and for the most part it's great.
For some simple (single table, indexed) lookups, I was getting around
600ms response time with a simulated load of ten clients.  This was using
only a 64MB 928LX and a 32MB 166Mhz Pentium as the test systems, so
I was very pleased with the results.

  Maybe in the "newly revived" marketing world of the 3000, CSY can put
a plug or two in for the databases.  I would also love to see them spend
the money it would take to do a few TPC-C benchmarks.  It's awfully hard
to sell people on a system that they can't "easily" (no matter how inaccurately)
compare to the competition, regardless of the other benefits it may offer.

Regards,
Michael L Gueterman
Easy Does It Technologies
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.editcorp.com
voice: (888) 858-EDIT -or- (509) 943-5108
fax:   (509) 946-1170
--