HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 3

From:
Brent Flowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brent Flowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 16:09:30 -0700
Wirt's comment reminds me of a story I heard a few years ago about
computers and their ability to understand natural languages.  The
accuracy of the following is highly suspect ...

During the "Cold War", the US State Department asked that a program be
written to translate English to Russian, and Russian to English.  To
test the program, they decided to enter an English phrase, have it
translated to Russian, then enter the result and have it translated back
to English.

The phrase chosen was taken from the New American Standard Bible, Mark
14:38b, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."  I don't know
what the Russian translation was, but when it was translated back to
English, it came out as, "the vodka is good, but the meat has gone bad."

Here's to natural language computing.
--Brent Flowers

<<snip>>