HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 15:42:04 -0400
LCpl WRIGLEY, MCI PROGRAMMER, DSN 202 433-2351 X102
<[log in to unmask]> 10/09/97 08:19am >>> wrote:

>Is it possible to make a copy of a database from a tape and rename it
>so that I can have exact copy of the orginal database to test programs on?

And lots of people responded with helpful hints about using STORE/RESTORE
and other utilities.  Even Art "Hehe" Bahrs responded with:

>    I would recommend settting up a test account with the exact same
structure
>and names for testing purposes.  Helps a lot at my site.

Well, I just want to say: YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF WIMPS!

Create a test environment, indeed!  I've done a lot of whining on this
list, but this takes the cake!  Come on, people, show a little back bone.
Why, when I was taking programming courses (a few years ago) my instructor
told me that there was no reason why every computer program should not run
correctly the first time.  Why waste valuable disk space on something as
useless as a test environment?  What's wrong with a little "live debugging"

or "production testing"?  After all, isn't that what the users are for?

There, I feel better! :-)

Jim "Gotta go with decaf next time" Phillips