HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Tony Furnivall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Furnivall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:31:46 -0500
At 09:24 AM 10/9/97 -0700, Art Bahrs wrote:
>Joe,
>    They listend :) this is good.... But have they heard us about the cost???
>
>     We need a price that is doable!!!   I still find it incredibly hard to
>believe that it costs over a thousand dollars per attendee to put on Interex...
>er HP World hehehe

Let's not fall into the trap of thinking that every Interex product should
only cover its own costs, or (the converse) that every Interex product
should be a profit center. If this were the case in your companies, then
you'd be spending a lot more time doing direct revenue creation rather than
what you do right now! Likewise, the cost of almost every other Interex
product would go sky high, and there would be no more advocacy efforts
(leading to such things as bundled network software, Image/SQL, the 918DX
and the list goes on) or free publications, or CSL or whatever....

Interex must make enough money to cover its overall costs, and provide a
suitable reserve for years when people stay away in droves  "because the
price is too high" (grin). If you compare the Interex offerings with some of
the other shows around you will find some that are less expensive (and less
well done) and some that are more expensive, (and create glorious profits
for their promoters).

You have to assess the value of attending Interex yourself, and decide if
it's worth it.
Fortunately for many people, it is!

Tony

(PS Should there have been a plug alert in there somewhere ;-)