HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:35:07 +0100
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Neil Harvey <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Wirt draws our attention to the possibility of using power lines to
>transmit data at speeds up to 384k bits....
>
>It is an "Urban Legend" here in South Africa, that the state-owned
>Railways and the state-owned Power Company have, over the years, had an
>on-going fight with the state-owned Telecom company about the formers'
>by-passing the latter's service by operating data/fax/voice
>communications over their respective power lines.
>
>I'm not sure of the details, but it makes perfect sense.
>
>Maybe the water companies could step in on this, and use the pipes
>carrying water to and from houses to carry data :)

Then we could enable the STREAMS devices and use Named Pipes to
transport our Pool files, while our applications would all be developed
by Cisterns Analysts.

Imagine *really* surfing the World Wide Wet.....
--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]