HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Frank Letts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Letts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 11:50:57 -0700
To all of the nice folks who answered my pleas for help re: HP3000/Samba
and daytime/inetd, many thanks.  I wanted you all to know what the
outcome of all of that was.  I am not going to work for a U-Totem corner
store, but instead get to stay here for a while more :)

The daytime problem was caused by NetMail/3000.  If netmail is streamed
before inted, it tries to glom onto daytime and doesn't let arpa services
get hold of it.  Solution?  Cross the streams, Ray.

The file server problem has been more troublesome.  The 928 was
underpowered and under memoried for the task assigned to it.  Add clients
running Win 3.1 workgroups (packet probs), and you get a very slow
network.  Our solution here is to buy a hp NetServer for 1/2 that it
would cost to upgrade the 928.

Thanks again!

Frank "too old for this $#!+" Letts