HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:40:49 -0700
Charlie writes:
> Wouldn't it be a good idea for the backup software vendors to default to
>  storing the POSIX file structure using your MPE/iX filesets.  You could of
>  course, turn this feature off if you wish but only geeks with pocket
>  protectors would be interested in doing that.
>
> What's your opinion, I'd like to know.

Yes, I agree.  Before jumbo datasets were released, I suggested (to
all backup product engineers) that if they ever see a root file in
a backup list (no matter how the list was specified), that they should
default to thinking "oh, the user probably wants the entire database
backed up" ... and that they should add a keyword like "NODB" (or something)
to *defeat* that default.

BTW, what backup tool are you using?

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html