HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:14:01 -0400
Recently there have been conversations about using power lines for data
transmission, so I thought I'd pass along the following article which I
found at:

http://www.irish-times.com/irish-times/paper/1997/1013/cmp5.html

INTERNET AVAILABLE BY ELECTRICITY MAINS:
A 100-strong team in Essex has discovered a "holy grail" of the
telecommunications industry - how to deliver Internet access to
homes via the electricity mains. Norweb Communications, part
of the United Utilities group, developed the technology with
Canadian electronics group Northern Telecom. PCs and TV
sets can have direct high-speed Net access through existing
infrastructures, simply by plugging into a wall socket. The
researchers have perfected techniques to prevent the current
from distorting the data signals sent down the cables.

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.