HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:45:13 -0600
     I fought with this same problem when we got our new DDS2 drive.
     The answer is "probably not".  The thing to look for is not so
     much the DDS1 or DDS2 but the 4 bars.  If you look at the DDS
     symbol I am willing to guess you do NOT see 4 vertical bars after
     the DDS symbol.  If you find a tape with 4 vertical bars after
     the DDS symbol (even though it is NOT a DDS2 tape) this tape
     should work.   I also believe (though I could be wrong) that the
     tapes you currently have (the non-4-bar tapes) can be read by
     your DDS2 drive (they just can't be written to).

     So in summary (I believe) a DDS1 drive can read and write to:
    4-bar and non-4 bar 60m and 90m tapes.  A DDS2 can read and write to
    4-bar 60m, 90m and 120m tapes.

    I hope this helps....

  Barry Durand      "The opinions expressed in this
  Systems Engineer II    email are not necessarily the
  Gulf South Health Plans    opinions of my employer"