HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Michael I Yawn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael I Yawn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 14:47:22 GMT
Chris Breemer ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: Come to think of it, this is soooo funny ... HP engineers using a
: freeware compiler because their 'own' compiler lacks in functionality..
: I suppose c89 is not made by HP either, it's a MKS special, right ?

Actually the underlying compiler is HP C, although the c89 'wrapper'
may be MKS code.  The HP C compiler for MPE hasn't been enhanced
to the same extent as the HP-UX C compiler, mostly reflecting a
difference in language priorities between the two systems (Hey,
our Pascal kicks butt!  And I think we also have a better COBOL
implementation)

: Anyway, I did contemplate switching to gcc too. Just not too sure of
: the consequences. How are your experiences with gcc as replacing c89 ?
: Any gotchas ? E.g. what about MPE intrinsics ?
: Will gcc be bundled with MPE one day ?

GCC doesn't know about MPE intrinsics, so you must define them
yourself as extern procedures (and be aware of hidden parameters
for option extensible routines).  Bundling freeware products
such as gcc with the OS is an ongoing topic of discussion in
the lab and support communities, and may come to pass; but I
don't think HP support for the freeware compiler is likely to
happen.

: TIA
: --
: Kind regards,

:       Chris Breemer           [log in to unmask]
:       Compuware Europe B.V.   http://www.compuware.com

Mike Yawn
Hewlett-Packard                      email       [log in to unmask]
Commercial Systems Division          Voice         (408) 447-4367
19447 Pruneridge Ave M/S 47UA        Fax           (408) 447-4441
Cupertino, CA  95014