HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 08:28:42 -0700
Charlie is right:  I would agree that some form of notification is
desirable; however, this goes more to speaking to the pitfalls of
automation.  It's too easy to turn over mundane tasks to an automated
process and think you (the collective 'you', that is    ;-) never have to
worry about it again, so  $STDLISTs and backup listings go unread.
Unfortunately, this seldom comes to pass, and you're bitten.

I think it's important, especially because of cases like this, to monitor
database capacities at least weekly to gauge trends and prepare for the
unexpected.  Additionally, most backup software of which I'm aware will
store HFS files if the fileset being stored is specified with [log in to unmask]  It's
when we specify specific files or filesets that this kind of trouble
occurs.

Adager, Bradmark, HP, Orbit, Unison, et al:   any comments re: Charlie's
request?

Lee (been there, done that, bought a pocket protector) Gunter
Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oregon / Regence HMO Oregon
mailto:[log in to unmask]      voice...503-375-4498    fax.....503-375-4401
The opinions expressed, here, are mine and mine alone, and do not
necessarily reflect those of my employer.