HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 1997 13:15:36 +0100
In article <H000103c09078f23@MHS>, Glenn Cole <GLENN_COLE@NON-HP-
SANTACLARA-OM10.OM.HP.COM> writes
>Charlie writes:
>> Wouldn't it be a good idea for the backup software vendors to default to
>>  storing the POSIX file structure using your MPE/iX filesets.  You could of
>>  course, turn this feature off if you wish but only geeks with pocket
>>  protectors would be interested in doing that.
>>
>> What's your opinion, I'd like to know.
>
>to which Stan responds:
>> Yes, I agree.  Before jumbo datasets were released, I suggested (to
>> all backup product engineers) that if they ever see a root file in
>> a backup list (no matter how the list was specified), that they should
>> default to thinking "oh, the user probably wants the entire database
>> backed up" ... and that they should add a keyword like "NODB" (or
>> something) to *defeat* that default.
>
>Oooh...that's a tough one.
>
>In your example, it seems you're trying to think for the user. Trying to
>implement "store what I mean" instead of "store what I say" is a bit
>tricky, to say the least.
>
>What do you think of a "helping" keyword, instead of a "trust me" keyword?
>In this example, we could use something like "WholeDB" or "CompleteDB".
>This would preserve the existing behaviour (if I ask for MYDB, then that
>single file is all I'll get) while "helping" the user get the whole
>database when needed.
>
>--Glenn Cole
>  Software al dente, Inc.

Sorry - what went wrong with MYDB@ to get the whole MYDB database? The
presence of POSIX-y bits? Or the absence of database awareness in the
backup software, where a 'logical' folding rule would be to say that if
the whole of an Image database's MPE bits are being stored, its HFS bits
should be stored also?

I'd settle for someone second-guessing me on MYDB@ as (still) meaning
'the whole DB including any transparently generated POSIX-y bits you've
just gifted me with, unless I've set the IMAGEEK keyword to indicate
that I understand all this stuff and really, really, do only want the
kosher MPE bits'.............

--
Roy Brown               Phone : (01684) 291710     Fax : (01684) 291712
Affirm Ltd              Email : [log in to unmask]