HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Tim Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Ericson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:56:12 -0700
John W Pickering wrote:

<snip Alfredo's comments>

> I think I would like to be asked if it is OK to "go to jumbo" when
> I specify a change which would cause this. When making changes
> interactively a simple Y/N response would be all that would be
> required.  A page of general info including warnings about store
> along with the prompt would be nice.

I agree, if I'm expanding the dataset interactively, however, with
40 dental offices open from 7:00am to 7:00pm every day except Sunday,
I rarely have this luxury (I don't care to work Sundays, either :-)

> For automated lights out style capacity management jobs perhaps a
> jcw or system variable which would allow me control over the "go
> to jumbo" action would be needed. If you find the jcw or variable
> then you would report the action you have taken based on its value
> to stdlist -- i.e. go to jumbo and report that you have done this
> or notify that no change has been made because permission was not
> given to go to jumbo. I'm not sure what the default behaviour should
> be if the jcw or variable isn't specified -- assume OK and go to
> jumbo or quit with an abnormal termination message that most stdlist
> processors could recognise?  Perhaps the latter considering the
> generally conservative nature of most 3k shops.
>
> Regards,
> John Pickering
> JWP Systems Inc

I would argue for the first case, default to 'Jumbo is OK' - I can't
afford to have any downtime during the day to expand datasets it the
automatic nightly process hasn't already done it. I _do_ want to be
notified, though!  Perhaps a single-sheet tombstone-style banner on
LP, as well as console and $stdlist notification?

    My mind is my own, as are my ideas and opinions.
    My heart, body, and soul, however, all belong to others.    Tim.
    Tim Ericson            tericson   (503) 526-4440 (direct number)
    Sr. Programmer/Analyst  @denkor   DenKor Dental Management Corp.
      (& Systems Manager)    .com      (aka Willamette Dental Group)
                               ^^
            it's official!    note!  --> new domain name!   yeah!