HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 2

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:47:00 -0400
Hello everyone -

I thought it was my turn to go brain dead, but now I'm not sure.

I'm trying to set the term type and these commands work under 5.0, but
*don't* work under 5.5 PP2.  The logon is non SM (OPERATOR.SYS)

This is what happens
$ TERM=hp2392a
$ export $TERM
$ vi
Unknown terminal "".
$ TERM='hp2392a'
$ export $TERM
$ vi
Unknown terminal "".
$

I have changed the permissions in the /usr/lib/terminfo/* files,
/etc/motd, and /etc/profile to 444.

Now what is even more bizzare is under MANAGER.SYS, I can
do the same and "vi" will work, but when I try to "more" a file,
I get the same "Unknown terminal "".

Now I haven't tried what Lars suggested back in January (Yes, I do look at
the archives before I bug all you folks) which chmod all of the
appropriate hfs files (hfsfiles.hp36431.support), but I try that if no one
has a suggestion.

Thanks in advance

Alan "wrote one shell script and now they want it changed" Ambers