HP3000-L Archives

October 1997, Week 1

Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 15:49:58 -0500
How (66 lines)
> Speaking of black holes,
>
> My shop is trying very hard to attract and RETAIN good quality people.
> have been asked to 'sit' on a comittee that is supposed to find new
and
> creative suggestions for retaining techies.
>
> I have lots of ideas myself, but I thought many of you might give me
> some of your ideas on what would make you want to stay at a company.
> Salary is the easy one, but not always the most important.
>
> Private e-mails are fine.
>
> Thanks
> --
> **                                    **
> **  Chad Gilles                       **

Chad [I already answered privately, but thought the list might be
interested],

  Besides the usual suspects, money and benefits, I think you'll find
success with recruiting and retention by the following (unfortunately in
my case, management here has chosen other directions I can't do anything
about, but I'm sure others will find value in these ideas).

  Support a humane, friendly, family-first, flex-time environment, with
clear job responsibilities, clear project definitions, clear business
objectives, but give each technical type enough room to almost hang
him/herself to keep challenged - and technical supervisors must believe
in the capacity of each individual to handle the challenge.

  There are those who like more challenge that others - you must sort
out the right level for each. Let folks fail (with a safety net, of
course) and learn from their mistakes - organize project management
around these ideas to avoid needless confusion and misunderstanding. We
only learn from failure.

  Be sure there is enough time for each project to not just complete it,
but learn something and evolve the software design, even when doing
maintenance. This means incorporate new technologies gradually, but
continuously, and keep training opportunities and conferences available.
The senior types must spend some time with the junior types teaching and
learning, and they must be rewarded for their patience.

  Have a care with criticism! Some egos don't take it well, but they do
respond to positive attitude and staying focused simultaneously on next
quarter (next semester, here at the university) and the
risks/opportunities down the road 3 years. Don't forget regular
evaluations and support for and allowance for the normal zigzags in the
professional development road.

  A clear and positive message from the top is a necessary prerequisite,
of course, with honesty and integrity right up there, too.

HTH.
Cheers,
Richard Gambrell
Manager of Systems and Applications, Xavier University of LA
New Orleans, LA 70125
(office: [log in to unmask] 504-483-7454)
(other: [log in to unmask] 504-455-7105)
(resume available to interested parties)