HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 5

From:
"Michael P. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael P. Smith
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:05:29 GMT
Gary Jackson <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article
> >Looking for some help analyzing a system log file problem.
> >
> >Normally we change the system log file once on day.
> >One day(Sept 10), we spun through 8 log files in 1/2 hour.
> >
> >I've looked at these logs with ALFRED. Doesn't show anything out of
> >the ordinary.  Haven't figured out how to use LOGTOOL yet.
> >

> If you have VEAUDIT, try loglist.
>
> The times this has happend to us, it was due to someone on a PC shutting
it
> off without logging off the system.  Our MUX (Tellabs) kept sending a
> carriage return which filled up the log files.
>
> Good Luck!!
>

> Gary Jackson
> Nevada CSOS
> (916) 478-6407 - voice
> (916) 478-6410 - fax

Be VERY careful with VESOFT's LISTLOG.  It you use it and it tries to read
the currently opened logfile, system logging will be shutdown and you
either have to go into :DEBUG to turn it on (easy actually) or restart the
system.  I don't know if this is a VESOFT or an HP bug.

Michael P. Smith
Sr. Systems Programmer
The Hertz Corporation