HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 5

Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 14:18:22 -0400
[log in to unmask] on 9/29/97 said:

    <Snip>

We have installed PC's and fast modems and have allowed access via our 'Dial a
Lan' to customers who do not need to print out, however, does anybody have a
solution that will allow our customers to print reports (not just screen dumps)
without having to buy each customer an expensive router and lease them an ISDN
line?

An info would be greatly appreciated.

Ian,

Check out the SUPRPRT utility program from the Interex CSL tape of a few years
ago.  All it requires is a slave printer connected directly to the PC's printer
port.  I have used it remotely for many years.  A partial description from the
Interex CSL tape is below:

SUPRPRT - SLAVE PRINTER DRIVER (for MPE/XL operating systems)

Description   : The program SUPRPRT can print any ASCII or spoolfile onto a
                slaved printer.
Operation     :

    The SUPRPRT program turns record mode on and off for the purpose of printing
ASCII files or spoolfiles onto slaved printers.  The program will work on any HP
terminal that supports a slaved printer.  When using HP printers, the printing
can be compressed so that 132 characters per line will fit on 8 1/2 inch wide
wide paper.  Personal computers running the program PC2622 or REFLECTION are
also supported by this program.

     John Hornberger
     Sr. Systems Programmer
     General Signal Services