HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 5

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 08:47:42 -0800
Jon Broz writes:

>>> <[log in to unmask]> 09/29/97 06:47am >>>
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     I have a customer with seven(7) DDS-2 drives.  He has had to have
all
     the drives replaced over the past few months.  The problem he is
     encountering is that, during backups, he is getting what would be
     considered excessive tape cleaning requests.

     I was wondering if anyone else is or has been experiencing a similar
     situation.  If so, what, if anything, has been done to rectify the
     problem?

     Has anyone seen similar problems with DDS-3?

     How about DLT?
We had the same problem with DDS-2, continuous cleaning lights and
replacement mechanisms installed.  Finally we beat on HP to get these
"&%?###!!!" drives out of here.  They replaced them with DDS-3 drives
which were a little more reliable, but still had problems, especially with
125 meter tapes.  After a little more yelling HP replaced the DDS-3 with
DLT and so far everything is fine.

HP will readily admit that the DDS solution is not for anyone with 30
GB or more.  The drives just can't handle the load.  Which makes me
wonder what is the point of the DDS autoloader, since HP recommends
using a DDS drive for no more that an hour or two each day.

So, my recommendation is that you lean on and yell at HP to get results
and you'll be surprised at their response.  Whoops, I forgot you are HP.

Mike Berkowitz
Guess? Inc.