HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 4

From:
Bruce Senn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 17:42:22 -0500
I am trying to diagnose a performance problem.

The symptoms seem to be mostly slow "painting" of data to the terminal,
but I also have reports of slow echo of characters sent with character
mode IO.  The "painting" is the application putting up a block mode screen
for user input.

So, first question is about character echo.  Does the DTC echo the
characters back to the terminal or is the echo done by the 3000?  If
it is the former, then maybe my problem is from the DTC out to the
terminal.  If it is the latter, then it makes more sense that the
3000 itself is under stress.

The "terminals" are PCs running Reflection.  Each PC is connected to a
DEC terminal server running LAT, so it's a serial connection.  Each
port on the DTC is connected to another DEC terminal server, hence we
describe the connection as "Reverse-LAT".

The problem seems to have developed over the last month.

We have SYSVIEW, SYSPLAN, SYSPAK from (formerly) Carolian, now Lund,
I think.

TIA.

Any advice appreciated.  The DTC/echo question seems important to answer
first.

Bruce.

   Bruce J. Senn                             Phone:  (518) 388-6664
   Senior System Manager                     FAX:    (518) 388-6458
   Union College                   Internet:  [log in to unmask]
   Schenectady, NY 12308