HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 4

From:
Haijing Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:35:36 +0800
Remote (70 lines)
I joined this list a few months ago, maybe the discussion took
place before my joining.

I used to setup a remote site two years ago with other
colleagues. As I was quite a new HP3ker at that time, I'm not
sure whether my experiences can help.

1) We rented a dedicated line from local phone company. Set up
routers on both remote and local site. Link the two router
through Modem. The data transmission is configured using TCP/IP.
Sorry for not able to provide more details on Router's
configuration because it will vary from brand to brand.

2) DTC can surely run remotely. If you are using
Openview:DTCmanager, just configure the remote DTC with it's IP
address and MacAddress like any other local DTCs. If you don't
use DTCmanager, then config it in NMMGR.  IMHO, all DTCs are the
same , there should be no special considerations to use it as a
remote one.

3) It made no difference whether a DTC is a remote one or a local
one by using TCP/IP. What's more,MPE version is not a problem. We
were on MPE/ix 4.x when we set up the remote site.

Regards,

Haijing Chen.

ps.I believe compare to most of the gentle lists, I'm still very..very new on
this field. If what I've said is not the case, please just correct me. Thanks.