HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:10:13 -0700
Mark writes:
> If you're using Apache/iX to serve the file, it will be using POSIX I/O to
> read the file, and if the file is MPE ASCII, the bytestream emulator will
> be generating LF as the record separator.
>
> I guess your browsers are saving the data exactly as the web server is sending
> it, i.e. bytestream-emulated LFs.

Yep... but they (MSIE and Netscape) *both* save HTML files correctly:
with <CR/LF>s.  So, they *know* that on a DOS machine, text files
have <CR/LF> separators ... so they *should* save "text" files with the
same separator!  That's why I say its a browser bug.

BTW, we tried it with both "MPE" file (non-POSIX, non-bytestream) and
POSIX byte-stream, with both OMWS and Apache ... all four the same
result for "text" files (<LF>).

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html