HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:54:47 -0400
Jim:

I have only three things that I run across in my work with the Navy:

1)  FTP on MPE/iX lacks "anonymous" FTP.  ...And I'd like to be able to
    nail the "anonymous" user to a specific MPE/iX logon like say
    ANON.USER which I could set up with whatever privileges I desire.
    One important feature would be the ability to restrict/disable
    site commands, dir, and cd for the "anonymous" user so that
    the "anonymous" user can't snoop out the host system.

2)  Programatic access to FTP - sort of like the DSCOPY procedure calls.
    Process handling the FTP program and capturing its $STDIN and $STDLIST
    leave a lot to be desired.  While the DSCOPY procedure calls don't
    always return the best messages, they work well enough to show
    a real need for a similar interface to FTP.  This would allow the
    Navy to move information between MPE/iX systems and HP-UX systems
    with fewer problems, and eliminate a LOT of problems we have FTPing
    with IBM beasts.

3)  More detailed error messages.  This is not really the fault of FTP
    as much as the underlying NS.  Right now we have circuits which work
    reasonably well for virtual terminal service, but DSCOPY, FTP, RFA,
    and RDBA all fail on these circuits, and the errors don't point in
    any specific direction.  Specifics:  What do FSERRORs 227 and 255
    tell you?  Not much!

Thanks for listening!

John

At 04:57 PM 1997/09/15 GMT, Jim Hofmeister wrote:
>Hello Friends,
>
>Re: FTP/iX Phase-II Enhancements
>
>I did not manage to stir-up "any" interest in the latest FTP/iX nondisclosed
>(I could tell you, but I would have to kill you...) enhancements.
>
>So, maybe I can make this more fun!   Please identify/post your favorite
>FTP enhancement request...  and if it just happened to be one of those
>included in the new functionality, would you be willing to become an alpha
>test site for FTP/iX Phase-II YES/NO?   Winners of this contest just might
>get a late night phone call from Agent 007...  Hofmeister, James Hofmeister
>and be sworn to secrecy and recieve a special decoder ring and the opertunity
>to work with us in testing this new functionality!
>
>In all seriousness, thank you ahead of time for all of those who respond.
>
>Regards,
>
>James Hofmeister
>Hewlett Packard
>Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
>P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.
>

>Jim Hofmeister ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: Hello Friends,
>
>: Re: FTP/iX Phase-II Enhancements.
>
>: The FTP/iX Phase-I Enhancements are complete and will be available on
>: Express Release 3 for MPE/iX 5.5.  These enhancements include support
>: for transfer of PRIV, RIO, KSAM and MSG files; also support for the HASH
>: and TIMEOUT command.  Thank You to those who were involved in the
>: testing of this new functionality.
>
>: The FTP/iX Phase-II Enhancements have now completed the coding &
>: internal testing phase and will be available for Alpha test soon.  The
>: enhancements included in Phase-II will *not* be announced here for
>: competitive reasons.  Those who are interested in being an Alpha test
>: site for these enhancements will receive documentation for the new
>: functionality under a nondisclosure agreement.
>
>: If your site is interested in becoming a Alpha test site for the FTP/iX
>: Phase-II Enhancements, please contact James Hofmeister - Hewlett Packard
>: at the below e-mail address:

>: Hewlett Packard
>: Worldwide Technology Network Expert Center
>: P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.