HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:37:50 PST8
Maybe some of the people from Unison that post/lurk in this list can provide
a more 'informed' opinion (How about it Jeff!!)

Regards

Paul H. Christidis

Subject: Re: Re[2]: IBM to buy Unison Software
Author:  Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]> at CCGATE
Date:    09/15/97 03:19 PM

On Monday, September 15, 1997 3:06 PM, Chris Bartram [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
wrote:

> On the other hand, it is kinda impressive to be able to list "IBM" as a
> software vendor for the HP3000. ;-)

Before HP World I would have replied "Well, if HP won't support MPE, maybe
IBM should".  But with the recent HP announcements, that joke goes a bit
stale.

However, having recently reviewed IBM's strategies in open systems, I'm
willing to bet a few quid that the MPE products will be dropped once the
merger is complete.  With AS/400's still making them a fist full of money,
and a renewed interest in (the now affordable) mainframes, they would have
little if any interest in supporting competing proprietary platforms.

I suspect the phones are ringing at OCS, Orbit and HiComp about now . . .