HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:32:46 -0500
Re: (36 lines)
> Michael Gueterman writes (in response to a general theme concerning
> lost posts, but specifically in response to Ken Nutsford's comments):
>
> > Ditto, I've seen them all except I receive the individual postings.
> >  I received them on:
> >  Sep 11 @ 8:19am PDT
> >  Sep 13 @ 9:05am PDT
> >  Sep 15 @ 3:03pm PDT
>
> I, too, have seen all of Ken's posts. But I no longer believe that
> that means with assurance that everyone has. I believe that the
> problem of lost posts is becoming increasingly severe -- and because
> of that, I've been observing the process with some diligence for the
> last several months.  [...snip...]

Sorry that I have been less "actively administering" the list as of
late, but changing jobs has taken it's toll on my free time.  Let me
try to address the lost postings issue formally...

The HP3000-L list is quite intact; I receive notifications of any
bounced postings and they have been few and far between lately.
However, the list is gatewayed to a newsgroup (comp.sys.hp.mpe) via
a gateway at American University in Washington DC.  American has been
providing this service voluntarily for nearly a decade, but in recent
months the system administrator's position has changed hands three
times.  The gateway has been quite unstable and has been the subject of
many conversations on LSTSRV-L, LSTOWN-L, and news.admin.* newsgroups.

I cannot guarantee any level of service from the newsgroup, but can
state that the mailing list is healthy.  I would suggest that perhaps
posting follow-ups by email to the list would be preferable to doing
follow-ups to the newsgroup -- this appears to be where things are
falling apart.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>