HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Scott McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott McClellan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 03:43:57 GMT
"Stigers, Gregory - ANDOVER" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>I have a question regarding BUILD as a CM command. Does this mean we
>>could live almost entirely without it? In my first job out of college, I
>>coded declaratives to handle missing files. It is my understanding that
>>there is no reason why our application could not do the same and let the
>>program build workfiles on OPEN where desired, instead of using BUILDs
>>in the job streams. OTOH, I have been BUILDing COBTEXTs to hold the
>>output of COBOL compiles, and I know of no way to put this to a STD file
>>(as opposed to a STDList) without first BUILDing the silly thing.

At the progrmatice interface level we don't need BUILD (as you pointed
out). However, we never take anything away for obvious (backward
compatibility) reasons. It is a basic tenant of the HP3K ... has been
so for yrers. So BUILD will go on and we will just have to deal with
the issues (if any) as they crop up...someday **maybe** moving it into
NM.