HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:05:53 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
says...

>Chad notes:
>> Mark Landin wrote:
>>
>> > Besides, becoming a more heterogenous user community will be excellent
> practice
>> > for when it is time to add the NT consituency to our groups. That is
> probably
>> > not as far off as we think (or would like).
>> Even me, the HP3000 die-hard is getting this experiance. My shop is
>> starting to surround our HP3000s with HP9000s and NT systems to do
>> specialized tasks. Our systems managers, me included, will be expected
>> to fully support all of these platforms, and probably some others as
>> well.
>
>Look...if people *want* to be in an NT users group ... they should join one.
>We don't need to turn the 3000/9000/1000 users group into an NT/9000/3000/1000
>users group.  I have nothing against having a SIGNT, or NT oriented sessions
>at HPWORLD.

Thinking about it, Stan is right. There probably won't be an NT-only set of
Interex users since NT is not an HP product. (Sudden wild thought: just how
wily [and rich!] is Lew Platt and the HP Board? Could their partnership with
Bill Gates be the precursor to HP buying Microsoft? :) )

But those who are nervous about the attention HP is giving NT, both on the
hardware side (running the NetServers right between the T boxes and 9x9s) and
the software side, should be prepared for more of the same.

NT's here until something even more bizarre comes up to supplant it.
--
Mark Landin
T. D. Williamson, Inc.