HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 07:18:46 -0500
In a private note "Leon Degeling" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>I get about 150 messages by E-mail. At least 10% of them are of the
>'off-topic' type.
>
>I regard your message spam. I don't like spam, and please shut up if you
>don't have anything useful for the newsgroup.

Seems we have a new moderator for the list who will be able to
determine for all of us what is useful....  Apparently a little humor
as a divergence on a busy Monday to bring a smile was not deemed

At 11:11 AM 9/15/97 -0400, Joe Geiser wrote:
>Good one!  I just forwarded it to pretty much everyone I know that's not
>on 3000-L - Thanks!

...and so forth

In all fairness, chances are there were others who didn't find the
humor welcomed and chances are, simply deleted the e-mail based upon
the subject.

However, I'm wondering if Jeff Vance received similar feedback about his
recent family announcement or those that posted a congrads to
the list....or perhaps the discussion of copyright law brought forth
similar admonishment as these subjects are 'off-topic' on this newsgroup
as well.  What about the HP9000/UNIX topics...they too, aren't related
to this '3000' newsgroup.

Perhaps our new self-appointed moderator could also stop the
on-going, periodic job head-hunter postings for Pennsylvania, Idaho
and Wisconsin which I'm sure everyone is getting tired of seeing
after 8-9 months....I certainly don't find them useful...

What about the MSWord HTML discussion, Windows'95 restoration,
various FAXBACK issues, AOL's selling customer info, long discussion
on religion, people looking for other newgroups, renting a mobile
phone in SF...these folks should be censored for their off-topic
discussions.

Why stop there....I don't find the DLT4000, GLANCE/XL, HP3000/70
Y2K discussion, HP5000 printer and other topics 'useful' to my
needs, so perhaps I should tell these posters to 'please shut-up' if
they don't have anything useful to me to post....

Oops.....sorry, I guess this note is probably not 'useful' to some
folks on the list so I'll apologize in advance for posting it...

/jf (neglected to get pre-approval for this posting from the newgroup's
     moderator....)

/jf
                              _\\///_
                             (' o-o ')

         This day in 1940 - Selective Service Act, 1st peacetime draft
                            law, passed by Congress.
                            oooO  (    )
                             \_)