HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:09:42 -0700
Scott Swartzell writes:
> After lurking for a while, I have a question about
> file/directory ownership for java and perl.  I've
> recently installed these on a system running MPE/iX
> 5.0.  The file permissions appear to be okay, but
> the ownership is a problem.  I was manager.sys when
> I did these installations, and this ownership prevents
> the users from accessing necessary files.

The ownership is OK, it's the permissions that are probably the problem.

> If anyone has some guidelines/suggestions, I would
> appreciate it.  If the best answer is to create a
> tools account and move java and perl, I could do that,
> too.

I like to use "chmod 755" for public directories, "chmod 755" for public
executables, and "chmod 644" for all other public files in a read-only
environment.

If the general public needs to be able to create/purge files from directories,
or write to log files, you'll need "chmod 777" for the directories and
"chmod 666" for the log files.  As always think twice before you allow general
write access.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/