HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 10:35:38 -0500
Re[2]: (37 lines)
[snip]
> Bruce Toback's suggestion to switch to NM KSAM files is, of course,
easier said
> than done.  While I wish it were as simple as just FCOPYing from one
format to
> another, there are some minor dictionary issues (Cognos is used a lot
around
> here) plus other habits/interpersonal things/inertia which together
make it a
> somewhat difficult task.
>
> Kelly Sevilla

Kelly,

Oh, please, spare us the pain. It is *so* hard.:-)

Now, where did I put my editor, can't find the dictionary source code,
and of course we don't have a job to recompile everything after a
dictionary change and our install job never works anyway, nor do we know
how to use qtp for quick and dirty file loads - so it is *too* much
trouble.:-)

Just one little keyword in the PDL dictionary source needs to be changed
for each Ksam file, recompile dictionary, recompile any source using
this file, install dictionary and newly compiled powerhouse code.

As to the file copy, I used qtp to copy the data into a subfile, purge
the old Ksam files, creat the new Ksam file with qutil (under the new
dictionary - be sure to set the capacity), and a qtp to load the data
back. (There may be an easier way, but this is the Powerhouse way
[please keep down the boos and hisses]).:-)

Please don't take this personal. I, too, have BTDT.
Richard ([log in to unmask])