HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Neil Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 23:47:51 -0600
At 01:28 PM 9/17/97 GMT, Birket wrote:
Hi All,

That was funny, this message showed up in my in basket when I was reading
the page, not sure if this is MPE/iX 6.0 stuff, but it certainly is the TCU
agenda and registration for the 30th of September.

Here is the URL:

  http://www.hp.com/ibpprogs/csy/conf/inv930.html

Here is the agenda or at least what the page says anyway:

Using Your HP 3000 Together with Microsoft NT

Register now for this conference!

Time was when you could buy one computer, based on one operating system, and
use it to solve all your business problems. Those days are gone. Just when
we've gotten used to the idea of using HP 9000 systems without HP 3000s,
along comes another option: the HP NetServer. Based on Microsoft's NT Server
operating system, HP NetServers were once used only in PC LAN environments
for file and print sharing. But today, people are using NetServers for
commercial applications as well. It's time to take yet another look at the
integration question.

•Can I build an enterprise that includes HP 3000s and HP NetServers?
 •Can I include HP 9000s in the same environment?
 •How can applications running on NetServers access the data on my 3000?
(And vice-versa)?
 •What languages can I use to develop applications for the HP 3000 and HP
NetServer environments? How portable are these applications?

On Tuesday, September 30th, 1997, Hewlett-Packard will present "Using HP
3000s Together with HP NetServers". If you manage an HP 3000 datacenter, and
find yourself faced with the prospect of installing NT systems next to
MPE/iX systems, then you owe it to yourself to be part of our fourteenth
Technology Close-up Broadcast. This three hour interactive video broadcast
will focus on some of the practical issues involved with running a
heterogeneous computing environment.

During this three-hour program you'll learn more about:

•Samba/iX - a free solution for sharing files between HP 3000s and HP NetServers

 •ODBCLink/SE - 32-bit ODBC drivers for IMAGE/SQL and ALLBASE are available
now at no charge. These drivers provide high performance client/server
access to IMAGE/SQL and ALLBASE from Win95 and NT desktop applications.

 •Java on the HP 3000 - a popular programming language that is available for
your HP 3000 at no charge, making it possible to develop portable
applications. Java binaries can be executed on HP 3000s, on HP NetServers,
on HP 9000s and on many non-HP platforms, without porting or recompiling.