HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 3

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:19:15 -0700
On Sep 18,  3:04pm, Mark Wilkinson wrote:
> Subject: REPORT vs du - Why different?
> I was just poking around on our HP3K today and noticed that REPORT and the
> POSIX
> "du" command produce different figures - and before anyone says it, yes I
> did translate
> the output of REPORT to Kbytes and used "du -k".

I don't remember how du was implemented in our POSIX.2 shell, but I know
the CI's DISKUSE command shows different results than report too.  This is
due to the fact that DISKUSE counts the space used by the directories
(meaning groups and accounts too) themselves and REPORT does not.

regards,
Jeff Vance, CSY