HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
"Judith S. Fisher" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judith S. Fisher
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 10:35:31 -0700
At 05:18 AM 9/10/97 -0400, Wirt Atmar wrote:
And later Larry Boyd also questioned the financial audits.
>The first thing that I would very much like to see Chad accomplish is to have
>a completely independent financial organization go through Interex's books
>and provide for a very detailed accounting. My question has been for ten
>years now: "Where in the hell is all of the money going?" The answer that I
>have consistently received is that, "The members really aren't interested in
>that kind of thing."

[snipping the rest of the message]

Interex is audited every year by an independent accounting firm.  I am not
sure who it is today, but when I was on the Board of Directors it was
Coopers and Lybrand.  They passed out "Financial Highlights" at the Annual
Business meeting at HP World.  Unless things have changed, any member may
request a financial statement from Interex and it will be sent to them.

I also would like to touch on the subject of Consultants as Board Members.
I am a consultant and was one when I served on the Interex Board of
Directors for four years (three as a voting member and one as
past-Chairman).  As with any group, you get people volunteering for all
sorts of reasons.  The most important reason anyone should have is to serve
the organization!!!  If someone is willing to do that and not be looking
out for either themselves or an special faction, then they will make a good
candidate, no matter who they work for.

One other thing to remember, I don't know of any consultant who didn't at
one time or another work for a company as W2 employee.  In the past, the
reason so many Board members were consultants and/or vendors is that most
companies refuse to give their employees the time it takes to volunteer.  I
know mine was an extreme, but the year I was Chairman, I was out of the
office for either Interex or SCRUG business over 150 days !!!

I put on my asbestos suit, so let the flames begin. :-)

Judy
Judith S. Fisher                          Voice : (310) 820-7191
FDF Computer Consulting Corporation       Fax   : (310) 826-1615
11656 Montana Ave, Suite 102              E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Los Angeles, CA 90049
             FDF is Focusing on Development for the Future