HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:05:37 -0500
At 05:57 PM 9/5/97 P, you wrote:

/snip good discussion on utilities maintaining entry chronology...

>Likewise, moving an entry from
>one path to another and later returning it to the original path will
>destroy the chronological relationship it had with its original
>neighbors. Thus my statement that, if you want to guarantee the
>preservation of chronological sequence on a path, sort it.

Least one forgets DBUPDATE with CIU....the position of the entry
on the unchanged paths remain unaffected and thereby retain their
chronology.  Only the position in the path/sorted path being
changed is re-linked into the chain accordingly.  This is why CIU
is more efficient than delete/put for changing search/sort fields...

Yet as Steve has pointed out, placing an entry on a different
search field value and then returning it to the original
value would result in the re-established entry on the end
of the restored search field chain unless a sort field is used.
And then, if the sort field value is not unique, even then it
will be placed as the last entry for this sorted subgroup of
like entries.  So even sort fields cannot fully guarantee
retaining chronology of entries under certain situations....

/jf
                              _\\///_
                             (' o-o ')

         This day in 1974 - President Ford granted Richard Nixon a full
                            pardon for all crimes.
                            oooO  (    )
                             \_)