HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Glenn Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 15:36:18 -0700
RE: (36 lines)
Glenn wrote, in part:

> The part that confuses me is:
>
>       "The conference keynote will be presented by Jerry Sanders,
>        CEO of AMD, on 'A New World Order--Alternative Microsoft
>        Windows Platforms.'"

to which Denys responded, in part:

> Glenn, it simply means that at the Microprocessor Forum conference, the
> keynote speaker will be from AMD (American Micro Devices) a company which
> makes microprocessors one which one can run Windows.  AMD is an alternative
> to Intel, along with Cirrix and others.  At that same conference HP and
> Intel  will be revealing some information about Merced.  It is not a
> conference totally dedicated to Intel.

Denys, I think it is self-evident that the keynote speaker will be from
AMD, and I do not interpret an event entitled "Microprocessor Forum" as
being dedicated to any single manufacturer, Intel or not.

As it happens, I am quite familiar with both AMD and Cyrix providing
Intel-compatible processors for PCs. The confusing part to me is in the
title of Mr. Sanders' presentation:

        "A New World Order--Alternative Microsoft Windows Platforms"

As AMD and Cyrix have provided alternatives to Intel for quite some time,
THAT cannot be the New World Order. And as I have not heard of AMD being
invited to the Merced part, THAT cannot be the New World Order being
promoted by AMD either. Hence, my confusion.

--Glenn Cole
  Software al dente, Inc.