HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Dave Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:26:43 GMT
Cortlandt Wilson ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: There are user groups which completely ban consultants from leadership
: positions.   IMO this is a counter productive and non-sensical strategy.

<Warning: post by non-MPE lurker follows> <smile>

Thank you Cortlandt, I agree with what are saying. Each candidate needs
to be judged on their own merit, not by the company they work for or the
job title they hold.

I would like to share with this readership that as a long time HP user
group member and InterWorks Board (now InterWorks Forum Executive
Committee) member and past (through Dec. 96) non-voting liaison to the
Interex Board from InterWorks, I have worked on Boards containing both
HP employee and consultant voting members.

In *every* case I have observed, they have done an impeccable job of
taking their elected position seriously and representing the membership,
not themselves or their company! That's not to say there have been no
disagreements over issues -- those will always arise. But I am convinced
that they always have worked to the best interest of the members -- as
have the others on those boards.

One advantage consultants and traveling HP employees have over the rest
of us is that they get to visit dozens if not hundreds of HP customer
sites each year. Thus they see a perspective not available to most of
us who deal with one or two sites and conversations with associates at
a few other companies. I have experienced that balance being a good thing.

I urge Interex members to read the candidate info, talk with the
candidates at any opportunity you have, and visit the Interex Web site.

I understand that (like last year) the Web site very soon will have a place
where you can submit questions to the candidates, then read their answers.
Unfortunately, last year we got only a half dozen or so questions and
the Web logs showed that the answers were read by only a couple of dozen
or so different machine addresses. Hopefully this year visitors to that
section of the Interex Web site will increase so more of you will be able
to learn more about each of the candidates before casting your ballot.

Respectfully,
Dave
--
-(These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my company.)-
 Dave Eaton