HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Guy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 16:12:03 -0700
On Friday, September 12, 1997 8:28 AM, Michael D. Hensley
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:
[snip]
> Quote from the CyberLaw Lesson 3:
>
>    You don't need to put a copyright notice on it.  Your work is
copyrighted
>    THE MOMENT IT'S WRITTEN DOWN. ... So the e-mail you send to a friend?
It's
>    copyrighted.

One of the general truths about copyrights is that there is no special
requirement to copyright your creations (I picked up my education through
writing fiction and music).  The tricky part is proving you own the
copyright -- that the work in circulation was indeed yours.

Thus, some day you may have to prove that any words, art, pithy quotes,
jaunty tunes or superior software you release to the world (digitally or
otherwise) are indeed your works.  Slapping copyright notices onto your
works serves only to (a) make this a little easier to prove and (b) marks
your territory against plagiarizers and other vermin.

Guy Smith
Telamon, Inc.

** This message, it's thoughts, intents, in printed, digital or ethereal
   form, as well as all known words in the English language are copyrights
   of Guy Smith and cannot be reproduced with the advance payment of first
   born male children.