HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:38:23 -0700
Another thing I found out (to my dismay) is when investigating an
impersonation of someone that used my name-address when sending out some
e-mail (it was obvious because the ISP was different, but not many people
look at the full headers.)  The FBI told me they won't pursue anything
unless it involved child-porno, a hate-crime, or death-threats against the
President.  (This was before the Judges struck down the Communications
Decency act, so maybe the first crime is no longer in effect either.)

The best they said I'd get was a Tort, (libel or slander, I'm not sure
which) and they said I'd need a "pret-ty good (read expensive) lawyer to win."

So fire away, my friends, say anything you want, about anyone, and
anything.  There's just about nothing anyone can do to you except turn
their backs on you.*  (Or flame you in return.)

* (This could be like Klingon "discommodation", where everyone grunts and
does an about-face one-by-one, and you lose your family honor.)

Tracy Johnson
Minister of Propaganda, Justin Thyme Productions
"Semper Pollus"
 ADC-2239-5531