HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:20:20 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask] says...

>Hi folks....
>
>I am a PC person that has recently been thrust into the world of the HP3000
>and I need some assistance.
>
>Well, we are getting ready to set up a network in which each programmer
>will have a PC with on his/her desk with Reflection. The 5 PCs will be
>running Windows 95 and Reflection to access the HP.  The company that does
>our HP stuff recommended a setup where all of the PCs' connect into a hub
>that has a connection to the HP. This sounds logical, but almost too easy.
>I am pretty network illiterate, too, so go easy on me here...
>
>1.      Are the PCs all going to be peer-to-peer'd with each other, or just
>connected to the HP?

That is up to you. They can be both peer-to-peer with other Win95 workstations
AND logged into the HP at the same time.

>2.      Will each PC have its own LDEV# when it logs into the HP under
>Reflection?

yes.

>3.      Will we simply be able to switch from "Serial" to "Best Network" in
the
>Reflection Connection Setup to go from being 9600 baud to 100 Mbps or
>whatever 10 Base T promises?

Basically, yes. Assuming your 3000 has been configged properly, and you have
bought a network-capable version of Reflection. Reflection used to have a
somewhat complicated product structure, and a lot of people thought they had
purchased everything they needed when in fact there were a couple of pieces
they still lacked. I think WRQ has repackaged their products to avoid this
confusion, but check with whomever sold you the WRQ stuff to make sure.

10Base-T promises a wire speed of 10Mb/s, but Ethernet really can only deliver
about 30-40% of that before network collisions take their toll. 100Base-T
promises the same, only at 100 Mb/s instead of 10. Your network cards, your
hub, and your cabling must all be 100Mb capable before you can make a
connection at that speed, so you probably will only be going at 10Mb for now.

If you are going to be getting any more involved in networking, I recommend you
head to the nearest majot bookstore and start looking for networking books.
Books by "O'Reilly and Associates" are pretty good books because they have a
good range of the "basics" along with getting into some technical details when
you are ready for them.

Oh, and hang out on this list/newsgroup more. :)

--
Mark Landin
T. D. Williamson, Inc.