HP3000-L Archives

September 1997, Week 2

From:
Ken Kirby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Kirby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:23:30 -0500
Dennis,

The best reason I know to replace your Series 70 is that, as of January 1998, HP will no longer support it. Also, as of September 1998, MPE/V will no longer be supported.  For more on this, check out these web pages:

http://www.hp.com/ibpprogs/csy/advisor/july97/news/news4.html
http://www.hp.com/wcso-support/31VinMPE.html

Another good reason not to stay with the Series 70 is the difficulty of getting parts. The last time our 70 was down, it lay lifeless for three days waiting for HP to locate a part and have it sent here. Fortunately, there are no critical applications on our 70, as we have migrated most to a 987.

The Series 70 was a fine piece of equipment in its day. So was the Titanic. For those of us still aboard, it looks like the iceberg is just around the bend.

A couple of warnings if you are planning to continue to use QUIZ:
(1) Be ready to write Cognos a B-I-G check for the software to run on your new box
(2) Depending on how old your QUIZ version is, you may have obsolete syntax in your reports which will need to be updated
(3) If your QUIZ reports are compiled, they will have to be recompiled to run on the new box. Pray you have source code. What's left on our Series 70 are applications written by users who are long gone and their source code with them. If we could have found the source to migrate these applications, we would have jettisoned our 70 years ago.

BTW, if you are going to move to another HP3000, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you see how much cheaper the maintenance is on an MPE/ix box than it was on your Series 70.

--Ken Kirby
  Vanderbilt University